Want to change the trajectory of the lives of children and youth? Then, you need to be here!
It’s working! Youth and adults are changing how they see themselves and their communities. For youth to succeed in school and life, they need a network of caring, connected adults who can guide and help them thrive amid life’s challenges.
Based on the world's best social-emotional research, Kaleidoscope Connect Academies equip you with the tools you need to work alongside youth to amplify their strengths and self-activate their complex systems of support.
Kaleidoscope Connect gives adults a “full-color lens,” providing a better understanding of youth and the daily battles they face: bullying, drugs, alcohol, suicidal ideation, and more. Using a strengths-based approach, these professional development training Academies will enable you to recognize, appreciate, and magnify what is right about youth, thereby assuring their chance to succeed and flourish. This renewed clarity gives you the tools and opportunities to connect with youth as they grow in meaningful and measurable ways.
Who should attend?
Anyone who works with children and youth, whether in a school, family-serving organization, faith-based community, parents, relatives, or friends of teens. We also encourage teens/young adults to join us.
** Phase 1 and Phase 2 are concurrent. Participants must have completed Phase 1 in order to attend Phase 2. **
Phase 1 Academy
If you are new to Kaleidoscope Connect, this session provides a solid introduction to our framework, principles, and practices. During this interactive session, you will...
- Learn about the power of Kaleidoscope Connect’s Integrative Youth Development™ (IYD) framework
- Practice methods for connecting with youth and helping them self-activate their Webs of Support to build resilience and avoid risk-taking behaviors
- Discover the power of the Student Support Card™ data collection and analysis tools
Phase 2 Academy
For those who have previously completed Phase 1. During this lively session, you will...
- Deepen your understanding of Kaleidoscope Connect’s Integrative Youth Development™ (IYD) framework
- Practice how to analyze the Student Support Card™ assessment data and coach youth and adults to effectively and efficiently understand, interpret, and amplify what is right and strong about youth
- Learn methods for presenting to and teaching individuals across community sectors to share the responsibility for preparing children and youth for an unknown future
What’s the cost?
Registration fee covers two full days of hands-on training and materials.
- Adult Only - $249
- Student Only (high school or college) - $89
- Adult + Student together - $315 total
LODGING: Sheraton Anchorage Hotel & Spa — When making your reservation, use the block name, Brightways Learning, to receive the block rate of $105.00 + tax per night.
AIRFARE: When booking Alaska Airlines flights to Anchorage for this Academy, you can use a code to receive a 7% discount. Please contact us for the discount code. The discount code is good for arrival/departure 3 days before and after the event.
Who are the facilitators?
- Derek Peterson has almost four decades of experience as a child/youth advocate in Alaska and worldwide. He guides local, state, national, and international policy makers and program leaders to see and understand youth through a new lens. Derek created Integrative Youth Development and its Student Support Card assessment, transforming the complexity of youth development into an easy-to-understand framework that guides the best practices of numerous programs, communities, and school districts through Brightways Learning's Kaleidoscope Connect.
- Amy McDonald has more than two decades of experience in K-12 education, including English Language Learning, classroom teaching, Lead Teacher, and School Counselor. She has a Bachelor’s in Linguistics, a K-8 Type B Teaching Certification, and a Master’s in K-12 School Counseling.
- David Pavish has 20 years of experience with youth in direct care and administration in both the private and public sector, which has equipped him with a unique lens. His training from some of the top youth and experiential education professionals in the U.S. and Canada provides him with a solid understanding of what youth need to succeed.
Educators can receive CEUs for their successful attendance and participation in either our Phase 1 or Phase 2 Academy during this training event. Details coming soon!